Sunday 16 March 2014

25K Moose Run Recap

Started, Finished, Survived ...


I set my alarm for 6:30 am. Race started at 10am but registration opened at 8:30. Heather picked me up at 7:30 am, we went extra early because neither of us had done this run before and didn't know what to expect. I had my normal Tea and oatmeal for breakfast, stretched and we were on our way.
When we got there we met up with our friend Steve, registered, got our cool tech shirts and bibs
We all sat around and "run talked" for a bit until start time. I was a bit nervous because this was going to be my longest run yet. I had already run 21k a handful of times before so I kept telling myself  "Only 4 more km that's all" .
Pre race :)
 
I had heard how hilly this race was but nothing could have prepared me for how hilly it actually was. The first few km was all hill and I kept thinking ok this has to get better eventually haha boy was I wrong. I was running a normal training pace the first 5k (28min) it started raining then hail. I was thinking just lovely. I looked again around 10km and I was at 57min. at this point I had a gel. 13km was the turn around point, the sun came out and  I started to feel a lot better, the hills didn't seem as bad  and I was moving at a good pace. At 20km there was a gigantic hill. I was starting to feel really tired, my legs were heavy, I had another gel at this point and I thought about walking. "NO! your not walking  you can do this! We ran around the ocean and the head wind was so strong I could hardly catch my breath. I turned around for a min and ran backwards. I would say this was the hardest part of the run for me. Once I got past the wind around the water and up yet another hill I could see where the finish line was and I started to pick up the pace a bit. Heather and Steve were there waiting for me to cheer me in :)
I finished in 2:30 :)
Check out the elevation chart! Crazy!
Here I come ( Thanks for the pics Heather )


Here are a few more pic taken during the run:)








After the run we went inside to get our FREE hot meal :) and they had a draw for prizes. Steve, Heather and myself all won a mug! what are the chances
On our way home Heather and I made a pit stop for a photo op at the moose :) and then to Starbucks. I got home had a hour long Epsom salt bath and drank my starbucks haha
 
Thanks for stopping by I hope you all had a Runderful weekend :)
 
 

 

10 comments:

  1. Great job Sam! I knew you could do it and that you'll kill the full as well. You are doing great in your training....way to push the limits!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job girlie! You look strong in the pics like the leader of the pack!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thxs Melissa :) def far from the lead but happy with my run. Next year you will have to run it too ;)

      Delete
  3. Yay so much fun! Definitely doing this again next year :) great job today!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! Can't wait to do it again next year :)

      Delete
  4. My gosh! That elevation chart is scary! lol Great work on the run. You look strong and determined in your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hills and HAIL?? What an awful long run for you - that elevation chart is no joke! Love that you were so determined and gutted it out anyway. I found your blog from a shout out to you over on Heidi's blog Idlehide. :) When is your marathon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) it was a challenge that's fir sure! But proud I ran it :) I'm running the Johnny miles marathon in new Glasgow Nova Scotia. I have run the 10k and half in the past and loved it :) thanks for comming to check out my blog

      Delete